Our executive team is made up of leaders with broad business and technology experience. You will find them sitting in the same open work spaces as everyone else, always ready for new ideas.
Rick Smith, CEO & Co-Founder
The driving force behind Rick Smith's strong leadership is the aspiration to reduce world violence. Since 1993, he has dedicated himself to delivering innovative technology solutions to create safer communities. He's an approachable leader who loves a good brainstorm, and is invigorated by challenging problems and the team he's assembled to help solve them.
More About Rick
- Education: BS in Neuroscience from Harvard (Cum Laude); Master's in International Finance from the University of Leuven in Belgium; MBA from the University of Chicago
- Awards: Co-winner of the Ernst and Young 2002 Entrepreneur of the Year; Made The Phoenix Business Journal's list of “Most Admired CEOs and Top-Level Executives” in 2010
- Fun Fact: Once rappelled into the atrium of TASER headquarters
Luke Larson, President
Luke joined TASER in June of 2008 and has filled a variety of executive and management roles. He currently serves as President of TASER International, where he oversees all domestic and international sales, marketing and communications, operations, people and culture as well as hardware engineering. Luke values big thinking and bold moves, which he's helped TASER pursue during his tenure.
More About Luke
- Education: BA from the University of Arizona, MBA from Thunderbird School of Global Management
- Previous Roles: Marine Corps infantry officer serving two tours in Iraq; awarded the Bronze Star with V for valour
- Fun Fact: Recently summited Mount Rainier in Washington
Dan Behrendt, Chief Financial Officer
Dan joined TASER in May of 2004 and now manages all aspects of corporate finance and investor relations. Bringing in over 25 years of experience as a financial leader with various companies, Dan is a valuable member of the TASER executive team.
More About Dan
- Education: BS in Accounting from Mount Union College; MBA from the Weatherhead School of Management at the Case Western Reserve University, and a licensed CPA
- Previous Roles: Financial Analyst, Power Generation Group of Babcock and Wilcox; Manager of Business Planning & Analysis, Precision Castparts Corporation; Manager of Business Planning & Analysis, Teledyne Fluid Systems; Director of Financial Planning & Analysis, VP & Corporate Controller, and later SVP and CFO of Imperial Home Decor Group - a Blackstone Portfolio Company
- Awards: Finalist, Arizona CFO of the Year 2011 and 2013, Public Company category
- Fun Fact: Enjoys weekend motorcycle and bicycle rides in the Arizona desert
Doug Klint, General Counsel
Doug has been with the company since December of 2002 and now oversees TASER’s robust legal department, managing risk management, litigation, corporate governance, securities compliance, intellectual property, employment law, and patent law. Doug is an unflappable presence leading one of the company's busiest departments.
More About Doug
- Education: Bachelor of Arts from Gustavus Adolphus College; J.D. from William Mitchell College (Cum Laude)
- Previous roles: CEO of Aspec Technology in Sunnyvale, California; Vice President and General Counsel of Gatefield Corporation and of Zycad Corporation; Partner in the law firm of Talle, Klint, and Trimble
- Fun Fact: Once lived in Africa
Marcus Womack, Executive Vice President, Software and Services
Marcus joined the company in 2013 and brought with him over 15 years of product design, development, and management experience. He now oversees all aspects of Axon and Evidence.com, including product development and information technology, from our Seattle office. Marcus helps keep the startup spirit alive on a daily basis and is still excited by all things tech.
More About Marcus
- Education: BA from Pacific Lutheran University
- Previous Roles: Co-Founder and CEO of Familiar, Inc. (acquired by TASER); Lead Programme Manager for Microsoft Xbox Live; Director of Product Management, VP and GM at iLike, later acquired by MySpace; additional product roles at Zune and MSN Music
- Fun Fact: Is an avid bicyclist
Josh Isner, Executive Vice President, Global Sales
Josh Isner came to TASER in 2009 as a member of our Leadership Development Programme. After rotating through several departments in the company, he eventually helmed our domestic video and cloud sales team, which he led to a record year in 2014. Josh now oversees the entire sales organisation.
More About Josh
- Education: BS in Government & Political Science from Harvard
- Previous Roles: Director of Leadership Development, Northeast Regional Sales Executive, and VP of Video and Cloud Sales at TASER
- Fun Fact: Was a varsity golfer in college
Todd Basche, Executive Vice President, Axon Devices
Todd joined TASER in 2016 and leads the hardware engineering (CEWs and cameras), hardware product management, and test and validation teams. A serial innovator who holds over 25 patents, Todd has created award-winning products across a range of markets. At Apple, Todd was hired to pitch new ideas to Steve Jobs and led all software development for iLife, the integrated suite of software including iTunes, iMovie, and iPhoto.
More about Todd
- Education: BS in Electrical Engineering from Northeastern University
- Previous Roles: Vice President Software Product Management at Dell; Vice President of Applications (iLife) at Apple; VP and GM of Remedy, acquired by BMC; CEO of WordLock; Co-Founder and VP of Products at Visioneer; Director of SparcStation Hardware Development at SUN.
- Fun Fact: Has been on both the Regis & Kelly Show and the Neil Cavuto Business Hour
Glenn Hickman, Vice President, Engineering
Glenn has been with TASER since 2011, having started in our Leadership Development Program and spending time with our advanced research, HR, and software development teams. This background has helped Glenn encourage cross-functional teamwork across the organisation. He now oversees all hardware engineering.
More About Glenn
- Education: BS in Biomedical Engineering and MS in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford
- Previous Roles: Evidence.com Product Manager at TASER; Biomedical engineer at Barrow Neurological Institute
- Fun Fact: Was raised on one of the largest chicken farms in the US
Gretchen Mastellon, Vice President, People Operations
Gretchen joined TASER in July of 2016 and has been laser-focused on transforming the People Operations function into a strategic and innovative business partner that pioneers exceptional employment experiences. Gretchen is passionate about positively impacting society, which made a revolutionary and mission-driven company like TASER a perfect fit for her and her family.
More About Gretchen
- Education: Bachelor of Arts from Columbia University
- Previous Roles: Divisional VP of Human Resources at Coach; Human Resources at Pcubed, Inc.; Project Coordinator for NIH-funded psychology research study at University of Florida, Shands Medical Center.
- Fun Fact: Loves to sky dive (but would prefer that her children keep their feet on the ground)
Darren Steele, Vice President, Marketing, Training, and Communications
Darren joined TASER in 2016, after 20 years leading marketing, product management and technical teams. He is responsible for all domestic and international marketing, training and communications. In his leadership roles at Fortune 100, startup and agency businesses, Darren has focused on prototyping new marketing and training techniques to meet the needs of increasingly distracted audiences.
More about Darren
- Education: BA in Advertising from Brigham Young University; MBA from BYU’s Marriott School of Management
- Previous Roles: Principal + Strategy Director at Mindspace (including Google, Starbucks and Expedia accounts); Group Product Manager at Microsoft (Xbox and Windows teams); Director of Sales and Marketing at Access Software, later acquired by Microsoft.
- Awards: Numerous Gold, Silver and Bronze Addy awards for strategy and creative, Microsoft Polaris Award for Leadership, two Microsoft Gold Star Awards, two Microsoft CPE Hero Awards
- Fun Fact: Each of his five kids is named after a U.S. President
Kathy Trontell, Chief Information Officer
Kathy joined TASER from Silicon Valley to lead the company's Information Technology & Services organization, which works to enable TASER’s growth, agility and success with technology. She was drawn to TASER for its dynamic, high-energy environment and audacious goals for positive change. Kathy has held senior leadership roles in diverse disciplines including IT, finance, sales strategy & operations, manufacturing, and more.
More About Kathy
- Education: Combined degree in Architecture and Mechanical Engineering from Princeton University
- Previous Roles: Senior Director, IT Programs and Global Release Management at Tesla Motors; Senior Director, Sales Strategy & Operations, and Senior Director, Acquisition Integration at Salesforce; Senior Director, IT Business Operations at Symantec Corporation; Senior Director, IT Strategy & Operations at NetApp
- Notable Achievement: Served 8 years on the Environmental Planning Commission for the City of Mountain View, California, and helped develop Mountain View’s 2030 General Plan
- Fun Fact: In college, one of her part-time jobs was as a magician’s assistant.